Facts About Autoimmune Conditions
- The National Institute of Health estimates up to 23.5 million Americans suffer from autoimmune disease (by comparison cancer affects up to 9 million annually). This number accounts for those who are currently diagnosed.
- The number is growing rapidly and anyone who has been diagnosed with an Autoimmune Condition knows that the time between symptom onset and diagnosis can be years.
- The NIH also estimates that the annual direct health care costs for all Autoimmune Conditions to be $100 billion, compared to cancer costs of $57 billion annually.
- There are usually two major causes of autoimmune disease: genetics and environment. A close genetic relationship exists among autoimmune diseases, explaining clustering in individuals and families.
- Clusters of specific autoimmune diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis and Lupus exist in neighborhoods where there are known environmental toxins.
- Extreme fatigue is a common symptom shared by people suffering a wide variety of Autoimmune Diseases.
- There are 100 known Autoimmune Conditions.
- Symptoms can be improved and Autoimmune Diseases can be reversed or avoided altogether through the right combination of nutrition, stress management, and other lifestyle changes.